Wednesday, March 5, 2014

"In the Middle" - Story Behind the Song

(Song is at the bottom if you're in a hurry!)

Image credit: "In the Middle II" by flickr user Hartwig HKD
CC license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

This song...I don't remember what was going on when I wrote it. The only clues I have are from my journal and that year, we had opened up a restaurant. I had concerns over that. I see that I wrote about being in a wilderness of sorts and that I was asking God to help me not look at my circumstances. But perhaps the most telling is this entry from just four days after writing this song:

8/9/07   "I had to trim my tomato plants a couple of days ago. The plants were growing so wild and the weight from the tops of them was bringing the whole plant down upon itself. In trimming it, I had to cut off parts of the plant that had very small, very dwarfed tomatoes. These tomatoes would have never reached their full potential. Instead, they would have matured into fruit that could not have been used and in addition to this, the energy and resources that went into them would have taken away from the rest of the plant.
   Last night, I was contemplating this, as sometimes it is the same in my own life. God does pruning and I look at the pile of trimmings and there is dwarfed fruit in the pile. I complain to the Lord, pointing out that there is 'fruit after its own kind' in the pile. It's true that since it is fruit that should be there, it is therefore arguably 'good' fruit. But what if this supposedly 'good' fruit would never reach its full potential, that it would never be used; that instead, its only purpose was to suck life out of the plant and the rest of the good fruit. It shouldn't remain.
   I don't know if I'm fully grasping the entire message in this picture, but I do know it has helped me see more about God's pruning. I tend to lose heart during that process. In actuality, the Lord is really narrowing my focus to the fruit that will completely mature and be useful. God is much more aware of the fact that chaff will be burned up; the excess that cannot be used will be destroyed.
   Thank God that He takes the time now to trim us! If He waited until the end of this age, there would be a great deal of 'waste'. He certainly has our best interest in mind when He prunes us!"

   And that, my friends, is the story behind this song, "In the Middle". I was in the middle of struggling with God over my situation at the time, but it doesn't take long to realize that it's simply useless to struggle with God. What good does it do? And why do we think we know better?

   As I'm in the middle of another situation that is difficult, I find encouragement in these past experiences and my heart takes comfort in being reminded that God is my Father, He loves me, He wants to prosper me and do me good. I'm learning to surrender. I'm learning to say "thank you" with each snip of the pruning shears, even though it's painful. I'm learning to love those dear hands that are molding me - a lifeless, dull, ugly lump of clay - into a vessel that the Potter can use in His house, though they may work me in a way that doesn't make sense or is uncomfortable. Yes, I am learning. Praise God for being such a patient teacher.

   I leave you with the verse that was written along with the journal entry I shared with you.


"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."
James 1:2-4


All glory to Jesus,
Adriel

5 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard this song before, thank you for sharing your heart and gift...such a sweet song and the "surrender" part is kind of timely, isn't it?
    Love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very timely. Funny how I made this video and had no idea what would be going on a week or so later. Love you! Thanks for being such a good friend while I'm on this journey. =)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful. I've been thinking a lot on submission and wrestling with God a lot of late too. Your words blessed me, Adriel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Submission...why does that word irk us so much? I think that irks many in a marriage relationship as well. But I've come to recognize and appreciate the safety and security that I find in submission in my marriage. I pray that God will continue translating the pictures I see in life that I see with my eyes into a spiritual reality in my heart. I pray that submission will become a word that I run to in my relationship with God instead of trying to get away from. Blessings to you, Heather! I appreciated hearing from you. =)

      Delete
  3. That is a very good and powerful concept to glean from gardening!

    Nice post and song. * *Thumbs up* *

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! May the Lord bless you and keep you and make His face shine upon you! May God be your song.