Tuesday, October 15, 2013

"It's You I Adore" - Story Behind the Song



(Link to listen is at the bottom for those of you in a rush.)


I've been saving my least favorites of the batch of songs I recorded eight years ago for awhile now. I keep putting it off. I'm honestly embarrassed to let you hear these. I'm not pleased with them. They either didn't turn out sounding as polished as I would have liked, they ended up sounding tacky, I didn't sing a certain part just so, the music doesn't really fit the song, and on and on my reasons go.

The story behind this song, "It's You I Adore", is sweet and simple. I was privileged many years ago, to be invited to participate in the organization of the worship time for an upcoming women's retreat. One of the women from our church had invited a friend of hers (sorry, I don't remember her name), who was very gifted in music, to basically lead. A group of four to six of us met once each week in preparation, and I gleaned a lot from the leader. "Free worship" was a gift of hers, which I had experienced as a kid, but not at this particular church. It took some effort for some of us to get out of that comfort zone we'd been used to, but once we began to sing out things on our heart to the Lord as the music kept going, the response came easier. I treasured that time and still do to this day.

This song was an overflow from that experience. It is based on the book of Song of Solomon (or Songs), and is just a love song to the Lord. I hope to one day record a more appropriate version of this song - I'm thinking acoustic, no electronic stuff. You live and learn!

Of course, the whole "free worship" thing, also known as "spontaneous worship", can become weird and disorderly, and that is certainly not what I am talking about here. I know are movements that have popularized this type of worship and they are way off. With the right leader who is truly in tune with the right Spirit, the Holy Spirit, (not something weird), free worship can truly be beautiful. =)

You can listen to "It's You I Adore" and/or download it for free on SoundCloud HERE (you may have to register, but it's free and easy), and lyrics are also there in the description, as well as HERE.

All glory to Jesus,
Adriel

4 comments:

  1. That's a really neat story. I like the song...and if you think this isn't polished enough I hate to think of my own recent endeavor. lol

    Either you have all the right equipment to make it sound good... or you did good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, my video wasn't polished, either! I messed up on the piano twice and said that Cleland's nieces were his brother's "sons"! Talk about LOL! The whole video experience has been humbling to say the least.

      Delete
    2. Well, I liked the song.

      I have never been one to like being on camera or anything... so I never do well in those situations I always feel awkward. So yeah... it's humbling and a learning experience at the same time.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! May the Lord bless you and keep you and make His face shine upon you! May God be your song.