Thursday, October 3, 2013

New Melodies for Hymns


Did that subject line make you do a double-take? I'm certainly not wanting to step on any toes, but just explore an idea and I'll tell you why.

We recently were attending a Baptist church where the vast majority of the songs sung were hymns. These songs were packed with wonderful truth and depth, but most of them I didn't know. I know most of the common hymns that the average Christian knows. These hymnals even had the notes in them, which was somewhat helpful. But when you're trying to read words that are new to you and trying to sing by reading notes (which I'm not good at), it didn't make for the most worshipful experience. I could hardly focus on what I was singing.

I remember several years ago at another church we attended, a man there shared with us how they had written new tunes to hymns that they didn't know the tunes to. I thought this was an interesting and creative idea. I have a hymnal WITHOUT any notes, just words, so I even tried doing that very thing with a couple hymns and they turned out sounding nice. I still have no idea how the original tune went! =D

The lyrics are so rich, it's a shame that not more of these hymns are being sung. But for most of us, we don't know the tunes. Yes, I have found sites online that have a general tune and whatnot, but sometimes that isn't quite enough to really get the feel for the song. In addition, sometimes it sounds like some of the hymns need a little "freshening up". What are your thoughts about writing a new tune for words to a hymn? Good idea? Bad idea? I'd love to hear what you have to say!

All glory to Jesus,

Adriel

6 comments:

  1. As far as your worship of God, that's between you and God and if you sing a hymn with good words you can sing whatever tune you want and He will appreciate it I believe.

    If you are thinking about in group settings, I would say as long as the hymn is public domain (which many are) there is no problem with it.

    If you run into some newer ones you might want to state that it is not the original tune in group settings.

    All in all I see nothing wrong with writing a new tune to a song of any kind. I have done it but more often I put new words to tunes I know. Either way I think it can turn out good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this topic. Public domain hymns were what I was thinking of mostly, but I appreciate your thoughts on newer ones as well. I think it can turn out good, too and I agree that God will accept and appreciate that offering of worship just as well. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been doing this for a few years now for myself when I'm alone. Have started recording my ideas given allot of prodding from friends. I open up my ipad choose a hymnal or use the public domain hymn site online and scroll through till I find something that clicks with me and then hit record on my iphone and away I go. It's therapeutic and I have gotten a few songs for our church too from this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How neat! Awesome idea with the iphone... I still have a dumb phone. I have a feeling I will be upgrading soon, though. My husband has one and I am seeing the benefits of having one. Your reason is just another one to add to my growing list! =) I think that is wonderful that you are singing some of these in your church. Those hymns have some good meat to chew on. God bless! =)

      Delete
    2. I do the same thing with my Samsung, if I have a tune for a song that I'm writing in my vehicle, I record the tune, otherwise, when I get home I might forget it. I usually carry a hand recorder for this purpose, but most times I forget it. When I get home, I listen to the tune and record it on to my original recorder along with the lyrics. Once I finalize the tune, I then transfer it on to my computer, then save it two flash drives and sometimes my portable hard drive, I know "Paranoia".

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! May the Lord bless you and keep you and make His face shine upon you! May God be your song.